Sunday Post: Settling in at home, FOMO and feeling home-less

19:00



It's Sunday. Sundays are my favourite days of the week. In a typical week I have lectures pretty much all day everyday Monday-Friday, and I work Friday and Saturday nights so Sundays are my one day off a week to just breathe, and take things slowly. Sundays are the days I like to pamper myself, to really take the time to cleanse and exfoliate and put on a face mask, to read a book or do some writing or look back through old photos, and of course to catch up on sleep, which was very much needed after the week I've had!

I finished up my last exam last week, and so after two hours sat in a stiflingly stuffy and silent exam hall I was finished my second year at university. I had the most amazing evening out to celebrate being finished exams - my boyfriend treated me to dinner, and I felt like an absolute princess. It was so nice to be able to spend time with someone so special to me where I wasn't stressed about uni, we'd both booked the weekend off work so we had an uninterrupted evening together having dinner and then having a long and peaceful walk around our town. Time like that to de-stress is so important, and it's vital to take the time to be with the people you love in a completely relaxed, distraction-free place to have deep conversations and to share lovely memories.

After a birthday party for a best mate on the Saturday night I was off home on the train early Sunday morning (it was one of the worst train journeys of my life and took me twice as long as it usually does, but we won't dwell on that!). I have been pretty homesick recently so spending time at home with my family is just what the doctor ordered. This does mean however that I'm now about 2 hours away from my boyfriend and many of my friends, which means that I can't easily come back to hang out with everyone. I get serious Fear-Of-Missing-Out (FOMO) when I come back home, as my friends at uni are pretty much all in the same circle of friends so whenever they organise something nearly all of my friends come together. It really upsets me not being able to see them as easily as I can usually, however I do know that there'll be plenty more opportunities to see them and to spend time with them. FOMO is real though, and it sucks. Big time. Especially when I get invited to all sorts of fun things and I can't go because it's not possible for me to get back.

One of the biggest things I'm struggling with at the moment is feeling homesick for whichever 'home' I'm not at. When I'm at 'home' with my parents I miss my university 'home' where all my friends and my boyfriend are, and when I'm at my uni 'home' I miss my family and my dog and my bestie from home and the comfort of being at home and always having food in the fridge and a nice garden (and TV and fast wifi!!). I feel so torn between the two places, I'm forever in limbo of missing the place I'm not at. That's probably one of the hardest things I struggle with at uni, it leaves me feeling very displaced and it gets quite hard to feel like either place is my home, especially as all my belongings are scattered in between the two houses. I've moved so many times over the last few years to and from uni and even before that, so it gets very difficult to feel like I really belong anywhere.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Subscribe